Skip to main content

ASK QUESTIONS OVER QUESTIONS

Hi,


I still remember, when I was doing my Post graduate program I used to ask questions, mostly doubts. One day In my statistics class where I seldom listen, I asked a question to my professor. 

He replied “Gokul!, If you ask questions, please ask sensible questions”  everyone laughed at me. I felt ashamed. But I haven’t stopped asking questions, but the reply always remains the same :P.

After someday I realized, the reason why my friends won’t ask questions is nothing but fear. Afraid of the professor’s reply ;). While teachers take classes, some of my friends sitting near me would ask some questions, though I am a person who seldom concentrates on classes, I ask them to ask the teacher itself. But they won’t. Always their doubt remains as a question.


Source: Google Images
I am a person who doesn't want to be a follower. I don’t want to carry out or hold any information without a rationale or a naked truth.
Let me give two examples which I had experienced recently.
1.
    1. Temple Visit

A couple of months back I visited a temple nearby my home. I was always surprised of the construction of the temples, the design, the idols, the Art etc. When I was a child I use to go to the same temple with my Grandfather. Our family use to donate a calf to the temple every year. During those visit’s  I ask my grandfather questions regarding the designs, the Idols etc. he use to tell me "everything you see here has its own meanings. You will get to know more about this when you grow up.   when time comes you will know everything”

After 15-18 years the same old questions came to my mind. I decided I wanted to know the answers this time. I went to the priest. I asked everything I want to know. He answered with enthusiasm, I felt a joy in his face, I had read somewhere that “the Knowledge is to be shared and the person who shares the knowledge seems so grateful for being given the opportunity to share”. I was able to experience the gratefulness in his speech. His speech continued for almost 30 minutes. While explaining, the priest seemed elated. I think in his lifetime it’s the first time someone has asked this. I felt so.

As he was busy with things in the temple he told me, ”There are more, but we have time limitation” I will explain the rest some other day. I replied “It’s ok, we will meet another day”

When I looked back I was totally surprised. There are lots of people who were listening to the speech. Everyone smiled at me. I felt like a hero walking in slow motion after a punch dialogue. I also found some village beauties smiling at me. That was a wonderful experience.

The point here is, until I asked the priest, the answer was unknown. if I didn’t take the step to ask, it always remains no. I think this is the reason why in this world there are more followers than leaders. The leaders should be aware of everything, whereas the followers need not be. They just obey or do whatever their leader ask to do.

Have you ever mingled with kids recently? We can learn many things from them. Once I visited a museum with my friend. We found a kid (5-6) years of age. The kid was asking plenty of question to the parents. I still remember my cousins (mentioned in my previous blog Anirudh and Ananthan), when we go for an outing, or at a beach, they used to ask questions.  But now, when they grow up the number of questions also comes down.

    2.       Wedding functions
I was also fascinated by the wedding functions of Kerala. It differs from a district to district. 8-9 months back when I attend marriage functions I use to find a chair nearby the youngsters. When the function takes place I use to ask them, why? why it’s done like this, what is the significance, what is the logic behind that etc. but they also don’t know. The reply was “why we should aware of that. Then I realized I should find a better place to get answers. So I thought sometimes elderly people may aware of this. I decided, for next marriage function, I will find a chair near old people.

While attending another marriage function after someday, I was able a find a seat near an elder person. I asked him the same questions. “The old man replied it’s Tradition, we are following this for years”. The interesting part is he also don’t know the logic behind the things which have been followed for years”. After that again I had attended so many marriage functions, I asked so many people, found different answers but was not logical. The more I heard is “Tradition”

Here is what I learned or my definition of Tradition is, “Following something which is followed for years, without a clear knowledge why we are following this”. Another Important thing I found interesting is “If you stress more on your questions you will be considered as a rebel”.

So, Ask questions over and over. I was also referring so many books to find out answers. If we don’t find time to know about this, just imagine, in future suppose if our children ask us, do we have an answer? Think about it!!




Comments

  1. Well written bro. Especially the part 'I think this is the reason why in this world there are more followers than leaders. The leaders should be aware of everything, whereas the followers need not be. They just obey or do whatever their leader ask to do.' made me thinking. Its actually true. Nobody takes the initiative to ask including me. Everyone does what they are asked to do. Hope this one open up some light on everyone.
    Bravo ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PURPOSE

Yesterday on my way from Cochin, I experienced something really interesting. Had a wonderful talk with a strange lady. 1.A lady around 35 years of age was carrying a child. She was not only carrying a child but also a long chain of key chains, pens, and drawing books for kids, some stationeries for sale. Normally we use to see people like her on trains and buses. But she was really a different lady. She came nearby me and asked “Sir, I have some good collection of key chains, pens, comb, kerchief. Please have a look”.  Actually, I don’t want anything, but the child in her hand attracted me with a cute smile. So for that, I decided to buy two key chains so that she could buy something for her child.
Time passed by many men and women passed selling different items, some beggars also passed by.
2.After some time I had noticed another lady carrying a child. But she was only carrying the child, not like the other lady. Actually, she was begging using the child. Within a while, she reached nea…

A BURNING DESIRE

I am sure each of us had gone through or are going through a tough phase in our life. 99% of people think it's our fate, but the rest 1% people believe and consider the toughness as an opportunity to learn and take a decision to MOVE, they accept"I am traveling in tough route, I am feeling cramped, YES!! I am out of comfort zone". They don't give up, they don't complain, But they take a firm decision to MOVE. These people are later labeled as the most successful people in HISTORY of mankind.
 Thomas A. Edison  Henry Ford  Charles Dickens  O. Henry  Hellen Keller Marshall Field and the list continues to Steve Jobs, Jack Ma, J.K Rowling
Today I am going to share what happened to one of my friends with whom I had an hour and a half telephonic conversation after 5 years. Now, he is no more a person I know, he is no more the person who used be in our school days. Literally, he is now no more a person whom everybody knew 5 years ago.A complete transformation!! A complete tran…

LOGIC BUBBLE

Hi, When I woke up today morning, I was thinking a subject to write. After a while, my mother came and asked me to go to the market and buy some fish. I thought ok!!, it's been so long I had visited the market. let's see the changes happened in the market over these days. My mother told me there is a pink colored plastic carry bag in the storeroom, take it when you leave. I moved to the store room, took the pink bag and moved. Because tomorrow is Christmas, the street seems empty. normally 11:00 AM will be one of the busiest time in a day here because it's the time market get's open.

On the way to market, I found various people whom I have met long back, a couple of middle-aged people, some aunties, children's, etc.I faced some cliche questions to a 23-year-old jobless boy, like, have you completed your course?, what is your future plan?, why not government job etc..etc.. somehow I managed to answer those questions. finally, I reached the market. even though the stre…